One of my new year’s resolutions is to learn how to cook and actually follow a recipe! Two weeks into 2015 and I have my first accomplishment which was easy, healthy and delicious!
Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day and something I really enjoy is yogurt topped with granola but I find most granola in the supermarket is either really unhealthy (because it is full of sugar) or really pricey!
So I thought I would be brave and have a go at making my own. The best thing is you can add all the ingredients you like most like your favoutite nuts or dried fruit without adding all the naughty bits. With the help from a great recipe over on Elizabeth Rider, I got creative and got cooking. Mix together:
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. You can choose from your favourites and they can be as chunky as you like. I only roughly chopped mine to give my granola a bit of crunch.
I chose to use cashews, macadamia nuts and walnuts, firstly because they were in my cupboard but also because I love the taste of them even as a yummy snack.
- 1/4 cup of seeds– Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are great because they are super good for you and super tasty!
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit. Again you chop it up or just throw it in. I went for raisins and dried cranberries for my mix.
- 2 tbsp of honey– I actually used this great healthier alternative called Agave Nectar which is also a tasty addition to sweeten up your porridge.
- 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil– This is where it gets a bit sticky but it’s also the fun part if your don’t mind getting a bit messy!
- Mix everything together with your hands.
- Pour onto a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until it is looking slightly golden.
And there you have it your very own homemade granola! Delicious on top of yogurt, smothered in milk (I love it with unsweetened almond milk) or even just on it’s own!
I have such a big sweet tooth and always have to have a cheeky pudding so I tried to incorporate the granola into a tasty dessert. I came up with a berry granola cheesecake mess!
Mix fat free cream cheese and your favourite fruit or warmed berries and top with your very own granola. Delish!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and are sticking to your new year’s resolutions too!
Love Leeanna xo
It’s that time again… you’ve finished off every box of mince pies in the house, stuffed yourself with chocolate and drank enough alcohol to still feel hungover when you woke up for work yesterday morning. This can only mean one thing… the January blues have arrived and it’s back to hearing that early morning alarm and joining the dreaded commute to work.
But the start to 2015 doesn’t have to be as miserable as the weather and neither does your wardrobe!
At this time of year all I want to do is get away to somewhere hot- a tropical island like St. Barts would do great! Unfortunately my purse can’t stretch that far… but it can stretch to some great bargains I’ve found in the January sales. Buying new clothes will always brighten my day no matter how dull and rainy the weather is.
If you haven’t shopped the January sales yet, here some great bargains I have picked out:
Light orange cross strap platform sandals River Island £55- £25
Lace bralet comes in black, green and burgandy Topshop £22- £10
Biker coat in wool blend H&M £34.99- £20
Metalic textured co-ordinate outfit Missguided Bralet £14.99- £6 Skirt £19.99- £15.99
Floral bodycon midi dress Boohoo £22- £12
Pink wrap skort New Look £18- £13
Leather Chelsea ankle boots ASOS £60- £30
I don’t know about you but whenever I shop in the sale I can tend to get very carried away and sometimes end up buying things I don’t even need just because “it’s only a fiver”. My wardrobe is already stuffed to the brim so I decided this New Year I would keep these tips in the back of my mind to make sure I don’t go crazy on every shopping spree…
Tips for shopping the sale:
- Know what gaps need to filled in your wardrobe.
- Think ahead and plan outfits for upcoming occasions and events.
- Ask yourself, would I buy this if it wasn’t on sale?
- Always try the items on in store to save the hassle of exchanging/credit notes.
- Invest in items you know you will wear again and again.
Happy sales shopping and Happy New Year!
Love Leeanna xo