One of my new year’s resolutions is to learn how to cook and actually follow a recipe! Two weeks into 2015 and I have my first accomplishment which was easy, healthy and delicious!
Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day and something I really enjoy is yogurt topped with granola but I find most granola in the supermarket is either really unhealthy (because it is full of sugar) or really pricey!
So I thought I would be brave and have a go at making my own. The best thing is you can add all the ingredients you like most like your favoutite nuts or dried fruit without adding all the naughty bits. With the help from a great recipe over on Elizabeth Rider, I got creative and got cooking. Mix together:
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. You can choose from your favourites and they can be as chunky as you like. I only roughly chopped mine to give my granola a bit of crunch.
- 1/4 cup of seeds– Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are great because they are super good for you and super tasty!
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit. Again you chop it up or just throw it in. I went for raisins and dried cranberries for my mix.
- 2 tbsp of honey– I actually used this great healthier alternative called Agave Nectar which is also a tasty addition to sweeten up your porridge.
- 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil– This is where it gets a bit sticky but it’s also the fun part if your don’t mind getting a bit messy!
- Mix everything together with your hands.
- Pour onto a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until it is looking slightly golden.
I have such a big sweet tooth and always have to have a cheeky pudding so I tried to incorporate the granola into a tasty dessert. I came up with a berry granola cheesecake mess!
Mix fat free cream cheese and your favourite fruit or warmed berries and top with your very own granola. Delish!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and are sticking to your new year’s resolutions too!
Love Leeanna xo