My mum is such a fanatic about afternoon tea so this year I’ve decided to have a go at making my very own selection of homemade treats for her to try.
This is just one of the tasters I’ve made that will be a sliced up on the cake stand. This recipe is actually a little bit of experimentation I have done myself to turn a lemon drizzle cake into a guilt-free dessert!
This lighter alternative is sugar-free, dairy free and can be made gluten-free. Oh and it’s totally delicious!!
Healthy Lemon Cake recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour (oat flour or other gluten-free flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder (2 tsp for gluten-free)
- 1 cup of alpro plant-based yogurt/ low-fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
1. Mix wet ingredients together (yogurt, eggs, agave nectar, vanilla extract, lemon juic and zest). Leave out the coconut oil for now.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients together.
3. Slowly add the two mixtures together, gradually folding in the coconut oil.
4. Pour into greased loaf cake dish and bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
5. With a skewer check if it comes out clean then leave to cool before eating.
It will last in an airtight container for a week. Delicious as an afternoon sweet treat with a cuppa or a fab dessert for you and your friends with custard or ice cream.
So you can have your cake and eat it! I hope you try this recipe at home and enjoy it as I hope my mum does this Sunday.
Love Leeanna xo