I do love watching the show Come Dine With Me whenever i’m having a lazy day and I’ve always thought to myself- what an earth would I make for dinner guests. And all that came to mind was ‘I can make a banging dish of bean on toast’.
Well I’ve been brave and got a bit adventurous by having a go at making my own vegetable couscous from scratch. I know it’s not very adventurous really- as I figured out it’s SO easy to make! But it’s a nicer way to be able to choose your own ingredients and spend less money on pots from the supermarket which might have hidden nasties! And it’s a great and simple meal to prep on a Sunday night to last you throughout the week.
- 2 courgettes
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2 carrots
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g couscous
- 500 ml of boiling water mixed with vegetable stock
- Half a cup of peas boiled
- 1 Tbs of butter
- All spice seasoning
- Mixed herbs
- Salt and black pepper
- Get chopping! Peel and chop up the veg- cutting the tomatoes and onions into quarter chunks. Add these to a roasting tin with the garlic cloves peeled but whole and drizzle over the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes until soft- checking them and giving them a stir throughout.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous into a bowl and pour over the stock (or just boiling water if you’d prefer). Cover and leave for 5 minutes to allow the grains to soak up the water. This was the fun bit- taking the foil off to see it had all expanded and using a fork to make it all fluffy!
- While fluffing it up, stir in the butter, mixed herbs and all-spice seasoning to taste and then add your roasted veggies and peas.
And wholla you’ve got yummy couscous for the week! It makes so much that I froze half of the mix for another week. It goes great with curry as an alternative to rice and is the perfect chicken or fish salad accompaniment for your weekday lunch boxes- or just great in a bowl on it’s own!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Love Leeanna xo